Classic Comfort Casserole Goes Gourmet in 6 Easy Steps
This ain’t your mama’s tuna noodle casserole. No canned cream soup here. Just honest-to-goodness ingredients prepared healthily in a comfort casserole classic. White wine replaces some dairy, while half of the egg noodles are whole wheat; plus a plethora of nourishing veggies complete this meal makeover. Make one large baking dish or two smaller ones–one for now and one to freeze for later.
Tuna Noodle Casserole with Mushrooms, Leeks, Peppers and Peas
2 Tbs butter
4 leeks, sliced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 each red and yellow bell
8 oz frozen peas
1 8-oz package sliced white mushrooms
1 cup white wine
2 cups skim milk
½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus 2 Tbs
4 5-oz cans Albacore tuna in water, drained
6 oz whole wheat egg noodles
6 oz yolk free, cholesterol free egg noodles
Herbed panko topping:
¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Tbs butter, melted
1 Tbs fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp fresh chopped tarragon
- Start a pot of salted boiling water.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium pot, melting butter.
- Add sliced leeks, then mushrooms and celery, and saute about five minutes before adding peppers to sauté for five more minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil, follow with milk and bring to simmer.
- Fold in 4 cans tuna and peas, reduce heat and do not over stir.
- Top with Panko mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Photo by Donovan Roberts Witmer